Monday 12 January 2015

Changing Attitudes towards the National History Museum



Just thinking about the first day at the Museum of National History and the question put to the groups, "Whose voice is speaking?" To be honest I couldn't hear a voice in the gallery. All the objects had very little information presented on the labels. The only information provided was a simple description of what the object was, its age, and provenience. This made me question the choices the museum made and whether interpretation was deliberately omitted to allow the audience to draw their own conclusions or if it was to avoid misrepresentation of the past. Perhaps the museum felt afraid to have their authority challenged if their interpretations were incorrect and therefore chose not to speak.

However, I thought more about this after discussing public engagement programs with our Vietnamese colleges at the Art Museum. We discussed having school groups come to the museum to produce their own art which might be displayed in the museum. The overall response was only to display the most beautiful pieces, which this reminded me of the aesthetics of the objects in the National History Museum. None of them seemed to be damaged or deformed, despite the fact that most objects obtained from an archaeological context tend to be broken or misshapen, and were discarded as a result of their flaws. It made me think that perhaps the National History Museum was behaving more like an Art Museum and chose to display these objects purely on their aesthetic value, rather than their scientific value. In that sense it seemed as though the museum was speaking to celebrate the artistic achievements of Vietnamese culture but chose not to celebrate technological achievements in their production.

After completing the exercise in the Women’s Museum on Friday I could empathize with a museum which was worried to speak for fear of misrepresenting people. I personally found the exercise challenging in that I was unsure of the appropriate means to approach such a sensitive topic. I strongly felt unwilling to speak on behalf of someone dealing with trauma and even nervous about the thought of approaching someone to engage in such an exhibition. I felt worried that directly approaching people dealing with trauma would make them distressed and uncomfortable. As result, our group decided the most suitable approach would be to reach out to an organization, not only as they would have knowledge and an established network, but also to serve as a buffered to protect the people dealing with trauma.

As a side note, when considering the approach to take I could only think, “If I were in this situation, how would I be comfortable being approached?” Ultimately, I concluded that I wouldn’t be comfortable being directly approached and felt that if I were in a support group and the idea pitched to a group to be considered I would feel comfortable being protected by the anonymity of a crowd and not pressured in a one-on-one situation. Overall, I only felt most comfortable speaking, or pitching ideas, on the behalf on the by-stander as that was the group I felt that I most fit into.

As a result of this exercise I strongly feel that the museum cannot speak on the behalf of people and that it is of great importance that they be on involved in the production of exhibitions. This in turn made me question when the museum’s voice is appropriate. To which I considered perhaps the only time the museum can serve as an authority is within the context of a natural history/science museum which serves to showcase the museums research. Through the exercise on Friday I came to feel that the National History Museum might be dealing with a similar dilemma and chose not to speak on behalf of the people whose objects they displayed.

1 comment:

  1. This is really interesting Ryan! I appreciate your honesty - it's really vital to empathise with other people (I think this is one of the key things museums encourage us to do) but I also think the point of community engagement is to (gently and sensitively) broach these topics with people and see if they would like to share their experiences, with the support of organisations and others. Research into trauma has found that an essential step towards recovery from trauma is 'breaking the silence', ie sharing with others and finding new narratives for the trauma - such as changing one's self perception from victim to survivor for example. I believe museums can play a part in this, particularly in regard to historical issues where particular groups' experiences have been denied and suppressed. But it has to be done extremely carefully - which I think aligns with your concerns. I agree that we have to be mindful about what museums can realistically achieve but I also think that we need forums and public spaces where difficult issues can be discussed - where else does this happen? The media doesn't always do such a great job and museums are in a unique position of being trusted and safe.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.